Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And Then I Lost It...

Today was a shitty day...it could have been good...but it took a wrong turn somewhere. I only worked a half day today...I had an appointment at 1:30 (for questions regarding said appointment, please shoot me an email)...so I left work at 12:30. I must give a little background before I delve into why my day turned into shit.

On Sunday, I was to meet my friend KJ for a couple beers at Barrio Brewery. We hadn't hung out in a long time and we wanted to catch up. We were going to meet at 3:30. So, I get to my car to leave and find a note on the windshield. I thought maybe it was a student who knew my car and lived in the complex. Oh, how I wish that that's what it was. Nope. It was a note that said "8:45 Sunday Morning. Hi, my name is Jerry Smith and I live in Apt #10101. While backing out of my parking spot this morning, my right bumper hit the driver's side door of your car. I won't be home until 10 o'clock tonight and will be gone at 9 tomorrow morning. My insurance company is American Family. Jerry Smith" Well, isn't that just fantastic news. I looked at my door and notice a nice long scratch on the molding of my driver's side door. Upon first glance, it doesn't look bad. I thought it was something that you could just buff out. I took the note, I got in my car, and I met up with KJ. I tried to get opinions from people about what I should do, and they all recommended I get an estimate. I left Jerry a note on his door that said I would get an estimate and I gave him my apartment number and my cell phone number. A little after 7 pm, I get a call from Jerry. He said he was home and wanted to know if he could come up and talk to me. I said sure. So he comes upstairs and he tells me that while he was backing out, he noticed that it was a little sluggish but he kept going. However, he decided to get out and look to see if he had in fact hit my car...which in fact he had. He said he would contact his insurance company and let them know what happened. I told him I would go get an estimate. He said if the estimate wasn't too much, he would pay for it...if it was too much, then he would have his insurance take care of it. Okay great...seems simple enough.

So I called my friend Dave and asked him if he could recommend a body shop and if he wouldn't mind checking out my car for an unofficial opinion. He came in this morning and said they would most likely just have to take off the molding and replace it...but it wasn't something that could be buffed out. He told me to take it to Thoroughbred Nissan collision. Okay, not a problem.

After my appointment, I went home, changed my clothes, and made my way to Thoroughbred Nissan collision. The lady took my last name, told me to wait, and the guy would be right with me. So I sat down and a few minutes later a friendly guy came out (unfortunately he was married, he was pretty good looking), and we went outside to take a look. I pointed out the damage and he began looking at it. And then it happened: "I want you to look at this because the guy who hit you is going to wonder why the estimate is so high." Well that's not good! Sure enough, it's not just a scratch...if you line my door up with the parking line, you can see a dent. Isn't that just great?? He pointed it out from different angles so that I could definitely see it, not just his imagination, or mine...it's there. He takes some information about my car and we go back inside so he can plug in some numbers. And I couldn't believe the number he gave me: $766.23. That's right, that would be SEVEN HUNDRED AND SIXTY SIX DOLLARS AND TWENTY THREE CENTS!!!!! FOR A SCRATCH!!! The molding itself is $125.90...he says he's never seen one that expensive, they usually run about $40...just my luck! I told him thank you, took the estimate, said I would contact the guy who hit me, and would possibly be back. Now that the dent has been pointed out to me, I want it fixed. At first, I was just going to collect the money and spend it on myself...but now, I'm not so sure! And that's when the anger started settling in.

I hadn't eaten today (minus a yogurt thing from Starbucks this morning) and I was hungry. Instead of hitting up some fast food, I decided to hit up the grocery store to pick up a few things so I could eat at home this week. Well, as everyone knows, traffic in Tucson SUCKS!!! And today, it really pissed me off. I was yelling at everyone who was driving too slow, who was turning too slow. As I was driving in my own lane, some lady started to get over, sees me, swerves back into her lane, and then gives ME the finger! Then she gets behind me, starts tailgating me, and then turns off. Um hi, Bitch, you almost hit me...I did nothing wrong! I was yelling...just yelling. Then one of my friends sends me a text and says "did you ask the guy about a rental car? They should put that in the estimate." Well that would have been good to know about 20 minutes ago! So, I go to the grocery store, get behind every slow person in the place, pick up a few random items, paid, and got in my car. As I'm pulling out of my spot, someone races up, and takes up the lane...um hello, can you not see me?? I knew it was time to go home before I murdered someone. I calmly made it home (thankfully it's close) and went inside. I slammed the door, I slammed the drawer where I keep my keys, I slammed the freezer (and broke the little shelf inside, but I fixed it), and I slammed cupboards. After all the slamming, I called the guy who had given me the estimate and asked him about rental cars. He said that depending on the insurance, I might have to pay for it upfront and get reimbursed later. Nope, sorry...not gonna work for me. And that just made me angrier. So I called my dad for a second opinion.

I told him what happened, I asked if he thought I should continue on and get it fixed. He said yes. And then I started crying, hard. And he didn't know what to say. Everything that has happened in the past month or so finally hit me, and I lost it. I'm pissed off about the whole car thing because it didn't involve me. I wasn't driving the car when it happened, I wasn't in the car when it happened...I was upstairs SLEEPING!!!! And now, I have to go through all of this bullshit for something that wasn't even my fault and I was not around for. I have to get the estimate, I have to take it in, I have to be without a car for 3 days...and all for something that happened to my car while it was sitting in a parking spot. And here comes another frustrating part...I tried calling the number the guy called me from...conveniently disconnected. I haven't seen his car the past couple of mornings. I left him a note on his door with the dollar amount and told him to contact his insurance company because I wanted it fixed. I also told him I would need a rental car. If I go to to work tomorrow and see that the note is still there, I will call the office although I doubt there is anything they can do.

So I cried for a while...I cried about the whole car drama and how it's bullshit that something that doesn't involve me has turned into a huge issue...I cried about being single...I cried about the guys who have taken me out and then not contacted me again...I cried because I hate my job...I'm still angry. I cried because I don't understand why good things can't happen to me or for me. Why is that things can be going well and then all of a sudden, life takes a gigantic dump on me. I don't get it, and I'm tired of it. Why is that my car had to get hit just sitting there? I mean really...are you kidding me???

So that's how I lost it...I'm fucking pissed off...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.