Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bad Things Happen To Good People

Here's a question that I've always wanted to know the answer to: why do bad things happen to good people? It hardly seems fair that people who are so full of good get dealt the crappy hand at life. And yet, the people who are so full of bad, get good hand after good hand. And today, it happened again.

I was perusing Facebook when I noticed that I had group invitation. I wasn't prepared for what the invitation was for...I don't think anything can ever prepare you for what I read. It was an invitation for a group called "Healing Cory...Her Miracle in Action." I didn't know what it was so I checked it out. And then I read it, and re-read it, and read it again. It can't possibly say what I think it says. So I read it again. And there it is: 2 days after finishing the Phoenix Rock-n-Roll marathon and 20 days after accepting my marriage proposal and 30 years after making this world a wildly better place to live in…. Corrina May Sheeley (Cory) was diagnosed with AML Leukemia. What?

I've known Cory for a long time. We were in the same group of friends in high school...she ran track, she ran cross country. She made me laugh, she was always happy. She's one of THE most positive people I have ever met in my life. After high school, we lost touch a little bit but she moved to Tucson so we hung out a few times...we got drunk together, we had lunch and caught up. She was still Cory...she could find the good in any situation, no matter what it was. She recently moved back to Flagstaff...and though I hadn't seen her in a couple of years (even though we lived in the same city), it kind of sucked to know that she was gone. We'd leave random comments on each other's Facebook pages and I followed her pictures. Her life was going well.

And then I read that on Facebook. I stared at it, I couldn't process it. Why her? Not that it should be anybody, but really why her? How could it happen to someone like Cory? Someone so positive, so happy, so carefree, so caring? She's the healthiest person I know...she could run circles around me. I cried. It's not fair...it's just not fair. And you want to know what made me really cry...her positive attitude. Even when faced with this challenge, she's still positive...and it amazes me. If anyone is going to beat this leukemia, it's her. She doesn't deserve this...which is why she's going to beat it. It's awesome to see all the support she's getting...she's touched so many lives and with all of us pulling for her, it's all the more reason why she's going to win.

But it makes me think...are my bad days really that bad? Is my life really that rough at times? I wish I could be more like Cory...I wish I could find the good in anything and everything...and maybe this will be the time that I start. If she can, why can't I? We'll see if I can do. it..anyone that knows me, knows I'm negative...but even a little change is better than no change.

So please keep Cory in your thoughts and prayers...send positive vibes her way...not that she needs more help with positive...but it can't hurt. Love you Cory...let's kick some cancer ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.