Monday, May 2, 2011

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Everyone remembers where they were on September 11, 2001. I can still remember exactly where I was. I was getting ready for class at the vanity in the bathroom. I was putting my makeup on and I remember Christine walked by and said "the world is going to end today." I looked at her and said "what?" And that's when she told me that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. We stared at the TV in shock. And I wondered if I was going to have class that day. So we drove to school and listened to KRQ for the updates. And that's when we discovered that a second plane had hit. I ended up having class that morning...I had all of my classes. But conveniently enough, I had my Death and Dying class that day...what more perfect opportunity to discuss our emotions about the days events. It was a tearful class, but it helped. It was also Jay's birthday that day. So we went to Olive Garden to help him celebrate. I felt bad having a good time and celebrating, but it wasn't fair to Jay for us to not celebrate. A couple of days after the attack, Christine found out that a flag was going to be made...out of the citizens of Tucson. We drove to TEP and we were part of that human flag. It was amazing to see all of the people who participated. We were all proud to be Americans that day.

And now, now that I work on an Air Force base and see people deploy and come home, fighting this war that was started almost 10 years ago, I'm even more proud to be an American. They killed Osama Bin Laden yesterday...almost 10 years later. We are the land of the free, because of the brave. If it weren't for our Armed Forces, we wouldn't be where we are today. And I am honored to know many individuals who signed up to put their lives at stake to protect us and our country. And I am honored to be in love with someone who loves his country and serves his country everyday. He deploys in August. And I know it's going to be difficult to not see him for 6 months, and to know that he could be in danger. But what makes it easier, is knowing how much he loves what he does and how honored he is to serve our country. Yes, he hates deploying because it takes him away from his family but he knows that he's doing it for a reason, and that helps him get through. I tell him often how proud I am of him, and I thank him for his service because it's quite the sacrifice, and it's not something that I could ever do.

Watching the news coverage last night, it was awesome to see people out on the streets in DC and New York celebrating. Our brave soldiers gave us that opportunity. They killed the man who took so many lives from us...on September 11, 2001 and in the years after. I hope that it helps bring peace and helps make sense of the reason why our brave men and women are over there. Sure, we lose sight of the reason why they're there when we don't hear any positive results, or when we hear that we lost more soldiers. But all of that comes into focus when we hear that the reason this war started, is dead. It all comes into focus when we realize that justice has been brought, and hopefully some peace to those people who have lost a loved one. At least this time, the reason we've all come together was a good reason.

And watching the news, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen in August when he leaves. Will it be dangerous? Will it be quiet? Will it be peaceful? Will he have to go? But then he told me that he was tearing up watching the news...and it just showed me that as much as I don't want him to go, he needs to go...because of what he does for our country. He was so proud of his fellow Armed Services. So yes, he needs to go. And I will be proud of him, moreso than I am now.

So thank you Armed Services. Thank you for killing that bastard. Thank you for risking your lives to make ours better. Thank you for loving our country so much that you would sacrifice your own lives to keep us safe. And thank you to my soldier, I'm proud of you and I love you and what you do.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! Land of the free, because of the brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.